Kenneth E. Wilhoit Collection
Scope and Contents
The Kenneth E. Wilhoit Collection consists of ET&WNC Transportation Company records and Wilhoit’s personal papers. The collection dates from 1866-2003, with the bulk of the material dating from 1930-1978.
The ET&WNC Transportation records in this collection chronicle ET&WNC daily operations over the course of Wilhoit’s forty years with the company. The records include minutes of Board of Directors meetings, resolutions, company by-laws, memos, interoffice correspondence, accounting records, sale of stock, operating authorities, request to and rulings by the Interstate Commerce Commission, and documents relating to the Red Ball Motor Freight Corporation’s acquisition of ET&WNC Transportation Company.
Wilhoit’s personal papers include personal correspondence and documents, such as financial records, photographs, railroad memorabilia, and copies of ET&WNC materials that Wilhoit used for personal research.
- Majority of material found within 1930-1978
- Wilhoit, Kenneth E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
6.50 linear feet (17 boxes)
Language of Materials
Series 1, ET&WNC Transportation Company Records, 1866-1996. Series 1 is divided into three sub-series: Sub-series 1, Board of Directors Meetings, 1963-1977; Sub-series 2, Reference Files, 1866-1996; Sub-series 3, Red Ball Acquisition Records, 1976-1983.
Series 2, Kenneth E. Wilhoit, Personal Papers, 1930-2003. Series 2 is divided into two sub-series: Sub-series 1, Personal Papers; Sub-series 2, Printed Materials.
Series 3, Photographs.
Method of Acquisition
This collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia on November 11, 2004, by Kenneth E. Wilhoit.
The collection was processed by Nathan Jones and Adrienne Marrah in 2005.
- Steel, Alfred, President, ET&WNC Transportation Company, 1949-1977
- Whisman, W.W., Vice President, ET&WNC Transportation Company, 1951-1967
- American Trucking Associations
- Blackwell, William Henry
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cranberry (N.C.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Cranberry Iron and Coal Company
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Motor Transportation
- East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Transportation Company
- Gateway Transportation
- Interstate Commerce Commission
- McCarthy, Larry
- McLean Trucks
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Red Ball Motor Freight
- TeleCom Corporation
- Tennolina Corporation
- Washington College Academy
- Nathan Jones and Adrienne Marrah
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note