Erwin Citizens Awareness Network (ECAN) Records
Scope and Contents
Public information on Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc. and the Swedish waste processor Studsvik, Inc. gathered by Erwin Citizens Awareness Network (ECAN) as part of the group's watchdog activities. While the primary focus of the documents is the uranium downblending facility in Erwin, Tennessee, the collection also includes materials on similar facilities elsewhere.
- 1957 - 2015
- Erwin Citizens Awareness Network (Erwin, Tenn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
25 linear feet
Language of Materials
Boxes 1-9 and 11-24 of this collection contain binders with accompanying summary sheets organized by ECAN member Barbara O'Neal. The archives did not alter the arrangement, though binder summaries have been shortened for this finding aid.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were donated by Barbara O'Neal in 2019, 2020, and 2021, accessions 2019-012, 2020-013, and 2022-001.
The following books were cataloged for the Archives of Appalachia book collection:
Deller, Nicole, Arjun Makhijani, and John Burroughs. Rule of Power or Rule of Law? An Assessment of U.S. Policies Regarding Security-Related Treaties, 2003.
Hillgartner, Stephen, Richard C. Bell, and Rory O'Connor. Nukespeak: Nuclear Language, Visions, and Mindset, 1982.
Makhijani, Arjun. Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for U.S. Energy Policy, 2007.
March, Linda Davis. Erwin and Unicoi County, 2007.
McKinley, Wes, and Caron Balkany. The Ambushed Grand Jury: How the Justice Department Covered Up Government Nuclear Crimes and How We Caught Them Red Handed, 2004.
Stevens, Mark A. Unicoi County, 2008.
Stevens, Mark A. Welcome to Erwin, 2011.
Tipton, A. Christine. Civil War in the Mountains, 2000. Tipton was an ECAN member.
WEMB 1420 Looks Back with Lou Thornberry, .
Willrich, Mason, and Richard K. Lester. Radioactive Waste: Management and Regulation, 1977.
Jen Bingham completed initial processing of this collection in June 2019 and processed accruals in October 2020 and January 2021. The donor used a system of storage and organization that included binders, plastic sleeves and sticky notes; these were left in place.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Environmental health Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental protection--Appalachian Region Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc
- Pollution -- Tennessee -- Erwin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radioactive pollution Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Water -- Pollution Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description