Adelaide Gresham DeVault Family Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of DeVault family correspondence and undated photographs. The correspondence mainly includes letters exchanged between Adelaide Gresham DeVault and William Weldon DeVault, Sr. both before and after marriage, letters exchanged between Mary Elizabeth DeVault and Edward Burke prior to their brief marriage, and a large number of letters written from Robert DeVault to Adelaide and Elizabeth [Betts] DeVault during World War II. The photographs are mostly of family members and include a few tintypes and several card mounted photographs that appear to be from the 19th and early 20th century. The papers also contain a scrapbook, church and funeral programs, marriage documents, notes and charts on DeVault family history, an account book, some estate records, and several news clippings that document family events
- 1886-1987, undated
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are unprocessed. Researchers may request access but should be aware that there is no reliable order to the documents. A cursory box list is available.
2 linear feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were purchased at Kimball Sterling auction house by bookseller George Webb and subsequently sold to the Archives of Appalachia. The original seller was not identified.
- Agriculture -- Tennessee -- Washington County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women--Appalachian Region--Social conditions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA