Ridley Wills East Tennessee Postcard Collection
Collection — Box: 1-3
Identifier: 500-AppMs 847
Ridley Wills began collecting Tennessee postcards in the 1930s, eventually amassing some 30,000 postcards. In 2015, he began distributing them to regional institutions. The cards in this collection represent landmarks in East Tennessee, especially in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and in Carter, Greene, Johnson, Sullivan, Washington and Unicoi Counties. There are images of schools, churches, hotels, towns, railroads, scenery and more.
- 1906-1996, undated
- Wills, Ridley (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
1.9 linear feet (1325 postcards in 3 card file boxes)
0.67 linear feet
The postcards are grouped alphabetically by city, county or subject matter.
Method of Acquisition
Donated by Ridley Wills on April 27, 2015, accession number 2015-017; and on May 29, 2015, accession number 2015-023.
Other Descriptive Information
Dates are taken from postmarks and are not indicative of publication dates.
The collection was processed by Jen Bingham in September 2015.
- Bristol (Tenn.)
- Bristol (Va.)
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- East Tennessee State College
- East Tennessee State Teachers College
- East Tennessee State University
- Elizabethton (Tenn.)
- Erwin (Tenn.)
- Great Smoky Mountains (N.C. and Tenn.) -- Pictorial works
- James H. Quillen Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- Pictorial works
- Johnson County (Tenn.)
- Jonesborough (Tenn.)
- Jonesborough (Tenn.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Pressmen's Home (Tenn.)
- Railroads--Pictorial works
- Roan Mountain (N.C. and Tenn.)
- Watauga Lake (Tenn.)
- Watauga River (N.C. and Tenn.)
- Description rules