Hayes B. Fleming Papers
Scope and Contents
The Hayes B. Fleming Papers contain business correspondence, architectural plans, drawings, and blueprints of residences, churches, shopping centers, government buildings, and businesses. Also contained in this collection are family papers including correspondence, newspaper clippings, and military, health, and employment records of the Fleming family. The photographs in this collection include family photographs, architectural site photographs, and photographs of unidentified people and places.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Material may be duplicated for research use only.
29 linear feet (76 oversize folders; 4 document boxes; 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
The papers are divided into three series: Architectural Drawings, Business Papers, and Personal Papers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Steven Sykes in May 1985, accession number 1985-115.
The following unannotated maps were added to the Archives of Appalachia map collection: 1. Johnson City quadrangle, 1959 2. White Pine quadrangle, 1961 3. City and County Map: Morristown and Hamblen County, Tennessee, 1964 4. Clinch-Powell Rivers Watershed, Tennessee, 1961 5. Knoxville, United States, 1960 6. Cumberland Plateau Planning District, 1972
Laura Smith processed the business and personal papers in April 2013 with assistance from Alyssa Williams and Megan Cottage. Jen Bingham reprocessed the architectural drawings in June 2020. The original processor of the architectural drawings is unknown.
- Architects -- Tennessee -- Johnson City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural firms -- Tennessee -- Johnson City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photography, artistic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Technical drawings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hayes B. Fleming Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description