Adam Waterford vs. Isaac Baker Case Transcript
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of an 1841 handwritten transcript of an 1829-1840 case transferred from the Chancery Court in Rogersville, Tennessee to the United States District Court of East Tennessee. The case concerned disputes over debt between Adam Waterford, a free person of color, of Sullivan County, Tennessee, and Isaac Baker of Washington County, Virginia. Major issues included disputes over tracts of land in Tazewell County, Viriginia and Sullivan County, Tennessee; the sale of forty head of cattle; and the question of whether Waterford sold or mortgaged his brother, a slave named Walter Waterford, to Baker to satisfy a portion of his debt.
The collection also includes a typed transcription of the original transcript.
- Issued: 1841
- United States. District Court (Tennessee : Eastern District) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The transcript is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
0.25 linear feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Adam Waterford vs Isaac Baker Case Transcript was transferred to the archives by Fred Borchuck, Director of Sherrod Library, in December 1987. Borchuck found the transcript in a closet in his office.
Georgia Greer of the Archives of Appalachia typed the transcript circa 1993.
Georgia Greer, Ed Speer, Marie Tedesco completed processing of the transcript in 1992.
- Baker, Isaac, d. 1830
- Baker, John
- Campbell, David, 1779-1859
- Orr, James
- Russell, Andrew, d. 1841
- Waterford, David
- Waterford, Walter
- Freed people -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judicial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slavery -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sullivan County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tazewell County (Va.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee. Court of Chancery (Hawkins County)
- Waterford, Adam, d. 1835
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description