Mattie L. Mettetal Collection
Scope and Contents
The Mattie L. Mettetal Collection documents the genealogical and historical interests of Mrs. Mettetal. Materials include pamphlets, maps, family trees, lineage sheets, hereditary society files, photographs, brochures, booklets, notebooks, scrapbooks, and genealogical notes on her family. Important topics include historical information relating to East Tennessee; information on her activities with the Daughters of the American Revolution; scrapbooks pertaining to the Children of the American Revolution; genealogical materials on her family lines including Pryor, Gaines, Bernard, Magee, Wardlaw, Mettetal, King, Houston, and Wallace; and brochures and pamphlets relating to East Tennessee history and historical sites.
- Other: Date acquired: 2003-05-20
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
The collection is arranged into three series, as follows: Series I, Genealogical Files, 1809-2006 and undated, Boxes 1-22 and oversized folders 1-5; Series II, Scrapbooks, 1929-1974 and undated, Boxes 23-31; and Series III, Photographs, 1903-2006 and undated, Boxes 32-34.
Method of Acquisition
Mattie L. Mettetal donated her books, periodicals, and papers on May 20, 2003 to the Archives of Appalachia. Additions to the collection were made between 2004 and 2008. Note: Books and periodicals were removed from the collection and transferred to Special Collections in the Archives of Appalachia.
The following maps were added to the Archives of Appalachia map collection:
City Map of Johnson City, Tennessee, undated Map of Johnson City, Tennessee, undated Map of Virginia by Jed. Hotchkiss, 1874 (1906 reprint?)
Ashley Cate processed the collection which was open for research in March 2012.
- Children of the American Revolution. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colonial Dames of the 17th Century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daughters of the American Revolution. John Sevier Chapter (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Houston family
- King family
- Magee family
- Mettetal family
- Mettetal, Mattie Lowell Wardlaw, 1920-2009
- Mettetal, Ray Wallace
- Moore family
- Pryor family
- Rogers family
- Tennessee--Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tennessee--History Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tipton-Haynes Historic Site (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Wardlaw family
- Warren family
- Womack family
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script