Stoneman Family Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the business and personal records of Ernest V. "Pop" Stoneman; his wife, Hattie Frost Stoneman; and children, Eddie, Grace, John, Patsy, Billy, Jack, Gene, Dean, Scotty, Donna, Jimmy, Roni, and Van, whose music careers spanned eight decades. The collection includes audiocassettes, autobiographical sketches, awards, business records, CDs and DVDs, contracts, correspondence, discographies, documentary material for and final draft of "The Stonemans: An Appalachian Family and the Music That Shaped Their Lives" by Ivan M. Tribe, financial records, hymnals, newspaper clippings, phonograph records, photographs, posters, publications, publicity, reviews, scrapbook, song-related materials, television shows, and the last manuscript song written by Ernest V. "Pop" Stoneman. The collection also contains an oral history interview of Patsy Stoneman (Patsy Stoneman Murphy) by Dr. C. Lindsey King of the Sociology and Anthropology Department at ETSU. Transcripts and a performance advertising flyer accompany the tape.
- Creation: 1924-2008
- Dugan, James T. (Person)
- Stoneman, Billy, 1926-1990 (Person)
- Stoneman, Dean Clark, 1930-1989 (Person)
- Stoneman, Donna (Person)
- Stoneman, Eddie Lewis, 1920-2001 (Person)
- Stoneman, Ernest V. (Person)
- Stoneman, Gene Austin, 1930-2005 (Person)
- Stoneman, Hattie (Person)
- Stoneman, Irma Grace, 1921-2003 (Person)
- Stoneman, Jack Monroe, 1929-1992 (Person)
- Stoneman, John (Person)
- Stoneman, Oscar James, 1937-2002 (Person)
- Stoneman, Patsy (Musician) (Person)
- Stoneman, Roni (Person)
- Stoneman, Scotty (Person)
- Stoneman, Van Haden, 1940-1995 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in four series. Series 1 is comprised of the business records of the Stoneman family as individuals and various musical groups, notably as "The Stonemans." Series 2 contains the personal records and memorabilia of the Stoneman family. Series 3 is the papers and memorabilia of James T. Dugan, third husband of Grace Stoneman, who was a Naval photographer serving in the Pacific during the 1940's and who photographed Project: Able-Baker in the Bikini Atoll on July 25, 1946. Series 4 contains the audio-visual records of the Stoneman family including audiocassettes, magnetic tape reels, CDs, DVDs, phonograph records in all formats, slides, and photographs.
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Pattie Stoneman Murphy and Dr. C. Lindsey King.
Accruals and Additions
The program for the Country Music Hall of Fame Medallion Ceremony, April 27, 2008, during which Ernest V. Stoneman was inducted, was donated in May 2010 by Patsy Stoneman.
"Pop" Stoneman's autoharp and case (replica) are on loan to the Reece Museum.
Two instruments (bass fiddle, tipple, and bow) were transferred to the Bluegrass Music Program in the Center for Appalachian Studies and Services on April 4, 2005.
Genre / Form
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Compact discs
- Corporation records
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Personal papers
- Phonograph records
- Publications (document genre)
- Slides (photographs)
- Patricia Gerard
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Box: 1, 3-14, 16, 19 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2, 15, 17, 18, 20 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 21-37, 42-45 (Mixed Materials)
- Item: 1-22 (Beta masters) (Moving Images)
- Oversize folder: 1-2 (Graphic Materials)
- Roll storage: (banner) (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 1-4 (#2016-039) (Accession)
- Box: 5-14 (#2016-039) (Accession)