Oak Hill Cemetery Records
Collection — other: 9 boxes
The Oak Hill Cemetery Records consist primarily of records maintained by the cemetery's administrative office and span the period 1912-1990. The collection documents the history and development of the cemetery and includes burial information for those interred at Oak Hill. Included in the collection are charters, deeds, minutes, financial records, correspondence, cemetery rules and regulations, tax returns, newspaper clippings, and cemetery layout drawings and plot diagrams. An alphabetical card index filing system documents individuals buried in the cemetery, often including attached newspaper obituaries, notes, and other genealogical information. These cards suffered fire damage. Because of the fragile nature of the cards found in Boxes 14-15, researchers should use the digital copies of the cards found in compact disks (CDs) housed in the collection case file.
- Oak Hill Cemetery Association (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research. However, because of the fragile condition of the card index files (Boxes 14-15), researchers should use the digital copies of the cards found in compact disks (CDs) housed in the collection case file.
8.25 linear feet (8.25 linear feet (15 Boxes), 10 photographs (1 folder), 4 compact disks (CDs), 1 oversized map folder)
The collection is arranged into three series, as follows: Series I, Office Files, 1912-2010 and undated, Boxes 1-13; Series II, Cemetery Plot Index Card Files, undated, Boxes 14-15; and Series III, Photographs, 1970-1984 and undated, 1 folder in Small Photograph Collection Box 8.
Method of Acquisition
The Oak Hill Cemetery Records were donated to the Archives by cemetery caretaker Chester Willis, Johnson City, Tenn., on July 11, 2006. Additional records were donated to the archives by Betty Jane Hylton, Johnson City, Tenn., on November 30, 2006. Four compact disks (CDs) containing scanned images of the card index files found in Boxes 14-15, along with a cross-reference index was donated by Dr. Margaret Hougland, ETSU professor emerita, on December 7, 2010. Hougland, along with Elaine Cantrell and Betty Jane Hylton, scanned and created digital copies on these CDs of the card files.
Processing of the collection was completed by David McGuinn in January 2011.
- David McGuinn