Ron D. Vance and Barbara H. Wickersham Collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Ron D. Vance and Barbara H. Wickersham Collection contains oral history tapes, transcripts, and subject files relating to the “History of the Highlands According to the People Who Lived It,” an oral history project funded by the University of Tennessee. The collection also includes photographs of interviewees as well as a Fox and Geese game board with marbles. The collection documents the history and culture of the Highlands of Roan in East Tennessee and western North Carolina.
- Vance, Ron D. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Material may be duplicated for educational and research use.
5.50 linear feet (5 boxes of papers and transcriptions, 87 audiotapes, 23 photographic prints)
The collection is arranged into four series as follows, Series 1, Subject Files, 1889-2001 and undated; Series 2, Transcription Files, 1981- 1987 and undated; Series 3, Audiotape Recordings, 1971-1987 and undated; and Series 4, Prints, 1969-late 1970’s and undated.
Method of Acquisition
The Ron D. Vance and Barbara H. Wickersham Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Ron D. Vance, Roan Mountain, Tennessee, on August 30, 2002.
Accruals and Additions
David Stewart donated three audiocassettes, a transcript and a photograph in February 2013. These materials were given to him by Ron Vance circa 1996 to help him with an ETSU history class project.
This collection was processed by Brianne Johnson and opened for research in March 2007.
- Avery County (N.C.) -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mitchell County (N.C.)--Social life and customs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Natural areas--North Carolina Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Natural areas--Tennessee Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Roan Mountain (N.C. and Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Brianne Johnson
- Language of description