William Flinn Rogers Papers
Scope and Contents
The William Flinn Rogers Papers contain his collection of research materials, correspondence pertaining to that research, teaching materials, correspondence in his adminstrative capacity, and departmental notes and memoranda.
The papers span from 1812 to 1973 but concern events dating from 1787 to 1967. Most of the material centers around the years of his teaching career, 1925 to 1968.
- Rogers, William Flinn, 1898-1985 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers were opened for research on November 20, 1988. Select Tennessee maps have been digitized and added to ETSU's Digital Commons. They can be viewed here: William Flinn Rogers Papers.
17.50 linear feet (32 legal size document boxes, 12 oversize folders, 2 oversize boxes, 1 cassette tape)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into five series. Series 1: Personal Papers. Series 2: Professional Papers. Series 3: Photographs. Series 4: Audio Material. Series 5: Oversize Materials. The items are arranged alphabetically by subject title within the series.
Method of Acquisition
The papers of William Flinn Rogers were given to the University Archives on February 19, 1986 by Dr. Frank Williams.
NON-MANUSCRIPT MATERIAL: Ten photographs of the Taylor and Haynes families were removed and placed in the Appalachian Photographic Archives with the oversized photographs. Issues of East Tennessee Historical Society's publication: "Echoes" from the following dates have been placed in the vertical files: May 1956. July, September, and December 1961. May, September, November 1963.
The following Tennessee maps were added to the Archives of Appalachia map collection: 1. Bluff City Quadrangle, 1940 (TVA) 2. Jonesboro Quadrangle, 1939 (TVA) 3. Leesburg Quadrangle, 1939 (TVA) 4. Spurgeon Quadrangle, 1950 reprint (TVA) 5. Sullivan Gardens Quadrangle, 1939 (TVA) 6. Greene County, Tennessee General Highway Map, 1969 7. Greene County, Tennessee: Location of Greene County Schools, 1953
K.Workman and E.Speer completed the processing of the collection in 1988.
- Haynes, Landon Carter, 1816-1875
- Swadley, Henry, 1814-1888
- Taylor, Robert Love, 1850-1912
- Young, Robert, d. 1792
- College teachers -- Selection and appointment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- East Tennessee State University. Dept. of History
- Greene County (Tenn.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Haynes family
- Iron industry and trade -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Love family
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rogers, William Flinn, 1898-1985
- Taylor family
- Washington County (Tenn.)--History Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Wilder, John Thomas, 1830-1917
- Williams, Samuel Cole, 1864-1947
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA