Office of the Bursar Records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Office of the Bursar Records document the business and financial operations of East Tennessee State University from its’ founding in 1911 when it was known as East Tennessee State Normal School until the mid-1950s when it was known as East Tennessee State College. On-campus student and Army training activities during World War I and World War II are also found in the record-keeping. Records include correspondence, memoranda, budget information, contracts, deeds, business ledgers, purchase orders, receipts, vouchers, other financial records, blueprints, and memorabilia.
- East Tennessee State University. Bursar’s Office (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
18.30 linear feet (27 boxes, 5 oversized folders )
Language of Materials
The records are arranged in files alphabetically by subject. Where multiple files for the same heading are found to be arranged in reverse chronological order, this indicates the original order maintained by the office. Oversized items are housed at the end of the collection.
Method of Acquisition
The Office of the Bursar Records were found in the vault of the old Sherrod Library as preparations were being made for the construction of a new library building. The records were transferred to University Archives by Dr. Fred Borchuck, Dean, Sherrod Library, ETSU, on September 26, 1996.
Anna Davidson completed processing the collection in March 2008.
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Tennessee State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- East Tennessee State University--Finance
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Army. Students' Army Training Corps
- Veterans--Education Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Anna Davidson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note