Library Science and Library Institutes Collection
Scope and Contents
The Library Science and Library Institutes Collection contains a variety of published material and records documenting the operations of the program for the period 1941-81 and include American Library Association Standards for accreditation, application and grant procedures, newsletters, reports; Department of Education and College of Education information, office files, correspondence, proposals for training in librarianship, and information related to teacher certification requirements in the field of library science. Also included are nine reel-to-real video tapes of instructional sessions made by the Library Science/Library Institutes program; five audiocassettes and 10 reel-to-reel audiotapes containing National Defense Education Act (NDEA) institute lectures; and other meetings related to librarianship; and one VHS video tape of an interview with Appalachian Children's author Doris Buchanan Smith. In addition the collection contains six color photographs, nine black and white photographs, and 38 slides of conference guest speakers, libraries, and schools.
- East Tennessee State University. Division of Library Service (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research with the exception of one folder documenting student fellowship records which is restricted and may not be used.
5.00 linear feet (3 boxes, 25 tapes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into three series: Series 1, Subject Files, 1941-1981, arranged alphabetically according to subject; Series 2, Audio and Video Tapes, 1963-1980, arranged alphabetically according to subject; and Series 3, Photographs, 1965 and undated, arranged by subject as follows: events, lecturers speakers, libraries, and schools.
Method of Acquisition
The Library Science and Library Institute Collection was transferred from the office of the Program of Library Service to the University Archives by Betty Jane Hylton, Instructional Materials Center, ETSU, on October 7 and December 5, 1995.
Ned Irwin and Vinita Whittaker completed processing the collection in February 1998.
- Smith, Doris Buchanan
- American Library Association
- Association of American Library Schools
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Tennessee State University. Dept. of Library Science
- Library education Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee Library Association
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA