William Cary Hattan Collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The papers of William Cary Hattan focus primarily on his career as a railroad engineer and on his personal involvement in the construction of two railroads in the early 20th century: the Western Maryland Railway, which operated between Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway (commonly known as the Clinchfield Railroad), which connected the coal fields of Southern Appalachia with the Atlantic coast ports, crossing the very difficult terrain of the Appalachian Mountains. Material in the collection also documents his education, training, and personal affairs.
- 1889-1940, undated
- Hattan, William Cary, 1875-1929 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research. Digital content available here: William Cary Hattan Collection
5.50 linear feet (1 oversized folder, 4 photograph albums, 477 photographic print images, 511 negative images)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two series as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1889-1929 and undated, and Series 2, Photographs and Negatives, 1904-1908 and undated.
The William Cary Hattan Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Hattan’s daughter, Mary Hattan Bogart of Erwin, Tenn., on May 5, 1989, with additional materials donated on July 6, 1989 and February 12, 2002.
The collection was processed by Ned Irwin, Brian Winstead, and Scott Phelps in 2006.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Erwin (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroads -- Appalachian Region -- Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western Maryland Railway Company
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note