Office of University Relations Records
Scope and Contents
The Office of University Relations Records contain correspondence, memoranda, photographs, 8mm films, videotapes, audiotapes, press releases, newsclippings, publication job jackets, President's Pride files, catalogs, bulletins, and broadsides documenting East Tennessee State University's diverse academic, athletic, and cultural activities between 1913 and 1986.
The photographic materials, produced by the university photographer, were removed from this collection and were placed in a separate collection, University Photographic Collections, accession No. 66. The films and videotapes created by the Sports Information Office, a small department within University Relations(1) were accessioned as a separate collection, Sports Information Office Records, accession No. 217.
(1) In 1993 Sports Information became part of the Intercollegiate Athletics department.
- 1913 - 1986
Conditions Governing Access
The records were opened for research in March 1986.
101.50 linear feet (57 records cartons, 30 manuscript boxes, 5 3x5 card file boxes, 4 audiocassettes)
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into seven series: Series 1, Press Releases, 1960-1986; Series 2, Newsclippings, 1913-1981; Series 3, Publication Job Jackets; Series 4, President's Pride Files, 1970 and 1979-1981; Series 5, Tennessee Higher Education Commission Newsclippings, 1980-1981; Series 6, Athlete's Catalogs, 1919-1961; and Series 7, Administrative Files, 1962-1984.
Method of Acquisition
The records of the university relations office were transferred to University Archives in several installments, as follows: November 1979, newsclippings; March 1983, photographs; May 1984, news releases, Tennessee Higher Education Commission newsclippings, and President's Pride files; December 1984, athletes catalog; and December 1985, publication job jackets; Newsclippings, news releases, and photographs will be added periodically.
Thirty-seven black and white photographs were removed and placed in the University Photographic Archives under: Students - B, C, R, G, H, S, T, W; Events - ROTC; Events - Awards; and Persons - unidentified. Four cassette audiotapes were removed and placed in the audio-visual collections under the accession number 29. The tapes are as follows:
1. Alumni Media Luncheon, Tom Garland, 10/22/85. 2. Faculty Conference, Dr. Beller, 8/19/85. 3. Homecoming 1985, Proclamation ceremony, 10/23/85. 4. Student Government Association Meeting, November 5, 1985/Faculty Conference, November 6, 1985.
Additional audio tapes relating to ETSU's 75th anniversary and Tennessee Homecoming '86 are filed with these two collections (acc. 264 and acc. 265).
N. Thomas, K.Workman, and S.Schwartz completed processing the collection in 1989.
- Baccalaureate addresses -- East Tennessee State University Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College athletes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Tennessee State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- East Tennessee State University--Sports
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Press releases Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee Higher Education Commission
- Language of description
- Script of description