Delbert W. Loudermilk Railroad Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of color slides, photographs, negatives, and a videotape relating to railroading. Major subjects are East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad, narrow and standard gauge (Johnson City and Elizabethton, Tenn.); Norfolk and Western Railroad (Bristol, Va., to West Jefferson, N. C.); Southern Pacific Railway (San Luis Obispo, Ca., and environs); and Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad (Cass and Ronceverte, W. Va.).
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research. Digital content available here: Delbert W. Loudermilk Railroad Collection.
2.00 linear feet (443 color slides, 440 photographic prints, 320 negatives, and 1 videotape)
Language of Materials
The slides of D.B. Marion were acquired by Loudermilk from George Allison.
Method of Acquisition
This collection was a gift from Delbert W. Loudermilk, Jr., in October 2007. Two additions were made by Loudermilk subsequently in November 2007 and March 2008.
In Special Collections: The Cass Collection, vols. 1 and 2, by John Killoran (Scott Depot, W. Va.: Trackage Rights, 1982-1983); Logging South Cheat by George Deike (Youngstown, Ohio: Trebco, 1978); Train Pictures --Southwest Virginia, revised ed. (Appalachia, Va.: ABCD Printing, 1984).
In Appalachian Vertical File -- Railroads: A Century of Railroading in Crawford Notch by Edwin Robertson and Benjamin English (Robertson and English, 1975); The Lima Shays on the Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk Railroad Company by Kyle Neighbors (Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing, 1969); Your Train Ride Through History by W. E. Blackhurst (Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing, 1973).
Collection processed by Amy Collins and Patricia Gerard in 2010.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Cass Scenic Railroad
- Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- Mower Lumber Company
- Museum of Transportation
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Norfolk and Western Railroad Company
- North American Rayon Corporation
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Santa Maria Valley (Santa Barbara County, Calif.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Southern Pacific Railroad
- Southern Railway (U.S.)
- Sperry Rail Car
- Tweetsie Railroad
- Patricia Gerard
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note