Delbert W. Loudermilk Railroad Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of color slides, photographs, negatives, and a videotape relating to railroading. Major subjects are East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad, narrow and standard gauge (Johnson City and Elizabethton, Tenn.); Norfolk and Western Railroad (Bristol, Va., to West Jefferson, N. C.); Southern Pacific Railway (San Luis Obispo, Ca., and environs); and Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad (Cass and Ronceverte, W. Va.).
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
2.00 linear feet (443 color slides, 440 photographic prints, 320 negatives, and 1 videotape)
Language of Materials
The slides of D.B. Marion were acquired by Loudermilk from George Allison.
Method of Acquisition
This collection was a gift from Delbert W. Loudermilk, Jr., in October 2007. Two additions were made by Loudermilk subsequently in November 2007 and March 2008.
In Special Collections: The Cass Collection, vols. 1 and 2, by John Killoran (Scott Depot, W. Va.: Trackage Rights, 1982-1983); Logging South Cheat by George Deike (Youngstown, Ohio: Trebco, 1978); Train Pictures --Southwest Virginia, revised ed. (Appalachia, Va.: ABCD Printing, 1984).
In Appalachian Vertical File -- Railroads: A Century of Railroading in Crawford Notch by Edwin Robertson and Benjamin English (Robertson and English, 1975); The Lima Shays on the Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk Railroad Company by Kyle Neighbors (Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing, 1969); Your Train Ride Through History by W. E. Blackhurst (Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing, 1973).
Collection processed by Amy Collins and Patricia Gerard in 2010.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Cass Scenic Railroad
- Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- Mower Lumber Company
- Museum of Transportation
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Norfolk and Western Railroad Company
- North American Rayon Corporation
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Santa Maria Valley (Santa Barbara County, Calif.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Southern Pacific Railroad
- Southern Railway (U.S.)
- Sperry Rail Car
- Tweetsie Railroad
- Patricia Gerard
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note