James H. Quillen Papers
Scope and Contents
The James H. Quillen Papers document the public life and political career of Mr. Quillen, covering his years of service in the Tennessee General Assembly (1955-1963) and the United States House of Representatives (1963-1997). A small amount of material documents Mr. Quillen's early life prior to his involvement in politics, including references to his family and childhood, his career as a newspaper publisher and businessman, and his military service with the United States Navy during World War II. The records focus on numerous political, social, and military issues in which he was involved at the local, state, national, and international levels. Documentation is especially strong on such matters as the development of the East Tennessee State University medical school, patriotism and legislation on protection of the American flag, community and economic development in the first congressional district of Tennessee, the Republican Party, and Tennessee and United States politics and political elections.
The collection consists of office files, memoranda, financial records, legislative files, government publications, project files and grant applications, subject files, correspondence, newsclippings, scrapbooks, photographs, recordings, speeches, press releases, maps, and miscellaneous printed ephemera and mementos.
Index to Collection Photos available.
- 1918 - 1999
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
566.00 linear feet (Consisting of 999 boxes, 18 oversized folders, 18,465 photographs, 228 audio recordings, 377 film and video recordings)
0.57 cubic feet
Language of Materials
The papers are arranged into ten series as follows: Series 1, General Office Records, 1945-1997 and undated; Series 2, Legislative Files, 1957-1996 and undated; Series 3, Project Files, 1958-1996 and undated; Series 4, Public Relations Files, 1956-1997 and undated; Series 5, Government Departments and Agencies Files, 1963-1996 and undated; Series 6, Miscellaneous Records, 1928-1996 and undated; Series 7, Memorabilia, 1964-1999 and undated; Series 8, Scrapbooks, c. 1945-1997; Series 9, Photographs, c. 1918-1997 and undated; and Series 10, Recordings, 1937-1998 and undated. The photographs in Series 9 are indexed in a name index.
Method of Acquisition
The papers of James H. Quillen were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Mr. Quillen on September 4, 1996, with additional materials being transferred in 1997, 1998, and 1999.
The following items were removed from the Project Files and cataloged for the Archives of Appalachia book collection:
Tennessee Valley Authority. Division of Water Control Planning. Floods on Little Pigeon and West Fork Little Pigeon Rivers in Vicinity of Sevierville Tennessee. Knoxville, Tennessee: 1958.
Tennessee Valley Authority. Division of Water Control Planning. Flood Control Branch. Sevierville, Tennessee Flood Relief: A Plan for Channel Improvement. Knoxville, Tennessee: 1964.
United States Department of the Interior. National Park Service. Draft Environmental Impact Statement, Volume 1, Foothills Parkway, Section 8D, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Denver: National Park Service, 1994.
The researcher may encounter the phrase "Removed, out of scope" in this finding aid. It indicates that material was determined to be unrelated to Quillen's activities; in most cases it was unsolicited "junk mail."
- Antietam (Aircraft carrier)
- Compact discs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Tennessee State University. College of Medicine
- Legislator--Tennessee Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medical colleges--Tennessee Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Phonograph records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Quillen, Cecile Cox, 1916-2002
- Reece, B. Carroll (Brazilla Carroll), 1889-1961
- Reece, Louise Goff
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- )
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee--Economic conditions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee--Politics and government Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- United States--Politics and government Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- United States. Congress
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note