Jessie Ackermann Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Jessie Ackermann Papers consist primarily of incoming correspondence and newspaper clippings. The correspondence is largely from admirers and other temperance organizers, with a small number of letters from Frances E. Willard and Lady Henry Somerset. The newspaper clippings document Ackermann’s activities in various countries including lectures and social events given in her honor; the bulk of the clippings lack information about the news source or date. There are also copies of articles written by Ackermann, letters of introduction to aid her in her travels, photographs, certificates, a scrapbook and lecture announcements.
- Ackermann, Jessie (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
4.90 linear feet (2 legal-size document boxes, 2 flat boxes and 18 loose particle-board panels)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The Jessie A. Ackermann Collection was transferred to the Archives of Appalachia on February 28, 1980 by Harvey Dean, curator of the B. Carroll Reece Museum, East Tennessee State University. The collection is part of a larger collection, including artifacts, souvenirs and a library of 800 volumes, which was donated to the State Teachers College, Johnson City, Tennessee by Ackermann in 1931.
The following book was removed from the papers and added to the Archives of Appalachia book collection:
Ackermann, Jessie. Australia from a Woman's Point of View. London: Cassell and Company, Limited, 1913.
Buddhist sutra thought to be from the 16th century returned to the B. Carroll Reece Museum on April 3, 2015.
David Goodin completed processing of the original collection in 1980. Karen House and Ed Speer completed processing on the addition in 1987. Marie Tedesco revised the finding aid in 1992. Jen Bingham revised the collection arrangement and description in February 2014.
- Willard, Frances Elizabeth, 1839-1898
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Somerset, Henry, Lady, 1851-1921
- Temperance--Australia--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Temperance--England--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Temperance--United States--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- World's Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Jessie Ackermann Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note