Knights of Pythias, Iron Clad Lodge Records
Scope and Contents
The Knights of Pythias records contain organizational records, correspondence, financial papers, and organizational forms reflecting the function of the organization through the activities of the Iron Clad Lodge. The material primarily concerns the financial affairs of the lodge.
In addition, two notebooks of what appear to be medical school notes were also received with the records. The two Knights of Pythias and the medical notes have been kept together as it is unknown if a connection other than provenance exists between the two sets of materials.
- Knights of Pythias, Iron Clad Lodge (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
1.00 linear feet (1 cubic foot consisting of 2 manuscript boxes and 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
This material is divided into two series. The Knights of Pythias records are arranged alphabetically by subject in Series 1. The medical notes are in date order in Series 2.
Ray D. Arthur's son, Terry Arthur purchased the records from Howard Garland, Garland Salvage in Johnson City. Garland received the materials on August 5, 1981 from an unidentified man who discovered the material in the barn of a Mountain City, Tennessee farm he had recently purchased. The records were apparently moved from Morristown, Tennessee to Mountain City in the 1930's.
Method of Acquisition
The Knights of Pythias records were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on August 17, 1981, by Ray D. Arthur of Lenoir City, Tennessee.
Marie Tedesco completed processing, and the records were opened for research in October 1985.
Jen Bingham refoldered some material and updated the finding aid in October 2013.
- Brown, L. E.
- Burke, Cora E.
- Green, S. W.
- Hunter, C. O.
- Lewis, William A.
- Reynolds, N. N.
- Stephenson, Frank H.
- African American fraternal organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Knights of Pythias. Iron Clad Lodge No. 73 (Morristown, Tenn.)
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medicine--study and teaching Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA