Carl B. Knight Papers
Scope and Contents
The Carl B. Knight Papers contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, reports, and periodicals documenting both Carl Knight's activities as a member of the board of directors of the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway and the general administrative operation of the CC&O Railway between 1972 and 1983. A large portion of the correspondence describes the sale of the CC&O Railway Company to the CSX Corporation in 1983. The remaining correspondence gives many details regarding the lawsuits between CC&O and Stanley Hershfang, and CC&O Railway and Holston Land Company. The newspaper clippings include numerous feature stories on the sale of the CC&O Railway to CSX. The stockholder reports of the CC&O Railway Company and the annual reports of the CC&O Railway and the Seaboard Coast Line Industries document the general financial operation of both companies.
- Creation: 1972-1983
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
2.50 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, correspondence and newspaper clippings, 1972-1983; and Series 2, reports and periodicals, 1976-1983.
Series 1 contains papers that document the general administrative operation of Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway; the sale of the CC&O Railway Company to CSX; and lawsuits between CC&O and Stanley Hershfang and CC&O and the Holston Land Company.
Series 2 contains stockholder reports for the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway and annual reports for the CC&O Railway and the Seaboard Coast Line Industries.
The documents had been stored previously in a Richmond, Virginia lawyer's office.
Method of Acquisition
The Carl B. Knight Papers were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Carl B. Knight on April 23, 1984.
Scott Schwartz, Alice Cunningham, and Becky Tuthill completed processing and the records were opened to researchers March 20, 1990.
- Cadenasso, Eugene P. (Person)
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway (Organization)
- Chappell, R. Harvey (Robert Harvey), 1926- (Person)
- CSX Corporation (Organization)
- Early, Albert D. (Person)
- Goforth, James A. (Person)
- Hershfang, Stanley (Person)
- Holston Land Company (Organization)
- Knight, Carl B. (Carl Bickley), 1903-1986 (Person)
- Knotter, J. Calvin (Person)
- Norfolk and Western Railway Company (Organization)
- Republic Industrial Life Insurance Company (Organization)
- Rice, W. Thomas (William Thomas), 1912- (Person)
- Seaboard Coast Line Industries (Organization)
- United States. Securities and Exchange Commission (Organization)
- York, Dorothy (Person)
- York, Robert (Person)
- Scott Schwartz, Alice Cunningham, and Becky Tuthill
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note