Kingsport Press Strike Collection
Scope and Contents
The Kingsport Press Strike Collection contains correspondence, reports, pamphlets, photocopies of articles taken from commercial publications, newspaper clippings, speeches, cassette audiotapes, memorabilia, and broadsides documenting the events surrounding the strike between Kingsport Press and its unions between 1961 and 1967. The correspondence and speeches describe events leading up to the strike, chronicles union activities during the strike, and identifies the problems surrounding the unsuccessful resolution of the labor dispute. The reports document specific union issues that served as the progenitors for the strike. The pamphlets, newspaper clippings, and photocopies of articles define the general issues and describe the activities surrounding the Kingsport Press strike. The two 60-minute audio cassette tapes (dated April 27, 1982) contain an interview with Earl Derrick about the Kingsport Press strike.
- Larkin, Dale K., 1955- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.50 linear feet (1 Hollinger box, 2 cassette audiotapes)
2.00 sound recordings
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into four series: Series 1, Correspondence, Reports and Speeches, 1963-1965; Series 2, Pamphlets and Broadsides, 1963-1965; Series 3, Articles, Memorabilia and Newspaper Clippings, 1964-1966; and Series 4, Cassette Tapes, 1982.
Method of Acquisition
Dale Larkin compiled the material on the Kingsport Press strike.Larkin donated the papers to the Archives of Appalachia in March 1983.
Scott Schwartz, Dawn Gentry and A.Kilgore completed processing in April 1990.
- Derrick, Earl M.
- Light, Everett
- Graphic Arts International Union
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Kingsport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Brotherhood of Bookbinders. Bindery Workers' Union Local No. 82 (Kingsport, Tenn.)
- International Printing Pressmen and Assistants' Union of North America
- Kingsport Press Strike, Kingsport, Tenn., 1963- Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Kingsport Press, Inc.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Strikes and lockouts--Book industries and trade Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee, East--Industries Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Scott Schwartz, Dawn Gentry and A.Kilgore
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA