Joe Jennings Bureau of Indian Affairs Records
Scope and Contents
The Joe Jennings Bureau of Indian Affairs Records document Jennings’ 26-year career with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, during which time he occupied various positions with the Pine Ridge Agency in South Dakota, the Indian Reorganization Division, and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, many pertaining to the education of Native American youth and adults. Materials in this collection include correspondence, memoranda, pamphlets, press releases, circulars, photographs, maps, reports, and minutes.
- 1902 - 1967
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
30.75 linear feet
Language of Materials
Organized into 8 series: Series 1, Superintendent of Schools, Pine Ridge Indian Agency and Plains Area, Pine Ridge South Dakota, 1907-1935, undated; Series 2, Field Administrator, Indian Reorganization Division, Washington, DC and Chicago, Illinois, 1926-1939, undated; Series 3, Superintendent, Southeastern United States, Washington, DC, 1940-1945; Series 4, Superintendent, Cherokee Reservation, Cherokee, North Carolina, 1902-1954, undated; Series 5, Program Coordinator, Washington, DC, and Bureau of Indian Affairs post-retirement, 1945-1967, undated; Series 6, Memorabilia, 1938-1962, undated; Series 7, Photographs, 1934-1954, undated, and Series 8, Oversize materials.
Method of Acquisition
Approximately 4 linear feet of papers were transferred from an East Tennessee State University department in May 1979. Joe and Aubrey Jennings' daughter Jean O'Brien contributed the remainder of the papers on three separate dates: October 1988, March 1991 and May 1996.
Bass, Althea. A Cherokee Daughter of Mount Holyoke, 1937.
Bonser, Howard J., and Beryl B. Maurer. Process and Action in Organized Rural Communities: A Study of Six Cases in Tennessee, 1953.
Bowers, Lola Garrett, and Kathleen Garrett. The Journal of Ellen Whitmore, 1953.
The Cameo. Martha Washington College, 1915-1916.
Fitzgerald, Mary Newman. The Cherokee, 1941.
Hamilton, C. Horace. Health and Health Services in the Southern Appalachians: A Source Book, 1959.
Hanczaryk, Edwin W. The Labor Force in West Virginia: A Study of Its Growth and Characteristics, 1954.
Johnson, O.M., and A.J. Dadisman. An Agricultural Survey of Brooke County, 1915.
Kephart, Horace. The Cherokees of the Smoky Mountains, 1936
Loomis, C.P., and L.S. Dodson. Standards of Living in Four Southern Appalachian Mountain Counties, 1938.
McCall, William A. Cherokees and Pioneers, 1952.
McLaughlin, James. My Friend the Indian, 1936.
The Official Guide to Cherokee, 1954.
“Rabbit Goes Duck Hunting: Cherokee Indian Legend.”
Simpson, George L., and Harriet L. Herring. Western North Carolina Associated Communities, 1956.
Stringfield, Margaret. The Cherokee in Romance, Tragedy and Song in the Great Smokies, 1946.
Tennessee Valley Authority. Recreational Development of the Southern Highlands Region: A Study of the Use and Control of Scenic and Recreational Resources, 1938.
Thompson, James H. Labor Market Areas for Manufacturing Plants in West Virginia, 1955.
Thompson, James H., and Thomas S. Isaack. Factors Influencing Plant Location in West Virginia, 1945-1956, 1956.
The following maps were added to the Archives of Appalachia Map Collection: • Rural Cultural Regions in the United States, WPA, 1940 • Graham County, North Carolina, 1949 • Swain County, North Carolina, 1949 • Jackson County, North Carolina, 1949 • Jackson County, North Carolina, Supplement, 1949 • Rand McNally Standard Map of Tennessee, undated
The following periodicals were added to the Archives of Appalachia serials collection:
Indians at Work, 1933-1940; 1942-1945
Scott Schwartz and Frank Heath completed processing and the collection was opened for research in 1989. In November 2014, Jean Rushing reprocessed Series 7 and grouped the photographs in two sub-series according to business and personal subjects. Jean Rushing completed a full reprocess of the remainder of the collection in Fall 2015.
- Davis, Mack P. (Mack Parker)
- Cherokee Indians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Choctaw Indians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Creek Indians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dakota Indians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs
- United States. Indian Reorganization Act Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- In Progress
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script