Lewis Family Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Lewis Family Papers contain correspondence, photocopies of an account book, a newsclipping, and an enumeration of the scholastic population of the 10th District, Carter County schools. Also included in this collection are 59 black and white photographs and a VHS videocassette tape containing images of the Lewis homestead and a family history narrated by Richard Lewis. The materials document the general business activities and operation of the family's general store and cobbler shop between c. 1890 and 1895. The account book also contains a listing of accounts for members of the community's Farmers and Laborers Union.
- circa 1820-1988
- Majority of material found within 1820 - 1918
- Lewis family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
6.00 folder(s) (6 file folders, 59 photographs, 1 VHS videotape)
1.00 Video recordings
The Lewis Family Papers are divided into three series; Series 1, Personal Papers, Records and Family History, 1890-1973; Series 2, Enumeration of Scholastic Population, 10th District, Carter County, 1905 and 1916-1918; and Series 3, Lewis Family and Miscellaneous Photographs, c. 1888-c. 1989.
Method of Acquisition
The Lewis Family Papers were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Richard Lewis on July 1, 1988. A VHS videotape containing the images of the three Lewis family homes was compiled by Richard Lewis and then donated to the archives on July 11, 1989.
Existence and Location of Originals
Several documents were photocopied by the archives' staff and then returned to the donor later that month.
A. Kilgore, J. Clark, Chris Bailey, Melissa Garant and Scott Schwartz completed processing, and the collection was opened to researchers on November 28, 1991.
- Lewis, Clarence
- Lewis, James F.M.
- Lewis, Stant
- Lewis, Stephen
- Carter County (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers and Laborers Union
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lewis family
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- School enrollment--Tennessee--Carter County Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Stoney Creek Baptist Church (Carter County, Tenn.)
- Virginia and Southwestern Railway Company
- A. Kilgore, J. Clark, Chris Bailey, Melissa Garant and Scott Schwartz
- Language of description