John A. Jones Almanac and Scrapbook Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of ninety-three almanacs and thirty-four scrapbooks. The almanacs were published from 1849 to 1929, by a variety of companies and organizations involved in farming, health, literature, medicine, religion, etc. The scrapbooks are items clipped from newspapers, magazines, and books glued in old books. The scrapbooks were given numbers and a completion date by Jones.
- 1849 - 1929
- Jones, John Alexander, 1850-1930 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
7.50 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, Almanacs, 1849-1929, and Series 2, Scrapbooks, 1865-1881.
Method of Acquisition
The John A. Jones Collection was a part of the 7000 volume John A. Jones book collection purchased by ETSU's Sherrod Library in 1931 from Jones' son, Virgil Jones. The collection was transferred to the Archives of Appalachia in 1979.
The almanacs were processed in March 1985 and the scrapbooks in October 1996.
- Agriculture -- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Almanacs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medicine, Popular Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Planting time--Folklore Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Traditional medicine Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Weather--Folklore Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA