International Woodworkers of America, Local 5-313 Records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains documents produced by the international office of the woodworkers union, and by Magnavox, but it consists primarily of Local 5-313 records. Included are contracts between the local and company; negotiation session notes taken by local members; membership and financial records; grievance reports; photographs; international publications; court transcripts; and news clippings, mainly on the 1967 strike.
- International Woodworkers of America, Local 5-313 (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Material is restricted due to potential for sensitive content. When requesting, allow extra time for archivist review.
4.00 linear feet (8 boxes, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into four series: Series 1, Local 5-313 Records, 1961-1979, and undated; Series 2, International Office Records, 1965-1978 and undated; Series 3, Magnavox Records, 1967-1976 and undated; and Series 4, Other Materials, 1967-1979 and undated.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records of Local 5-313 of the International Woodworkers of America were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on November 30, 1979 by Local 50313 president, Jack Sams.
The collection was opened for research in March 1980. Marie Tedesco revised the Finding Aid in 1999. The collection was restricted in 2016.
- Sams, Jack
- Shell, Paige
- Sites, Byron D.
- American Arbitration Association
- Cabinetmakers--Labor unions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Johnson City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International Woodworkers of America
- International Woodworkers of America. Local 5-313 (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Magnavox Company of Tennessee
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Strikes and lockouts--Furniture industry and trade--Tennessee--Johnson City Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script