Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works Records
Scope and Contents
The Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works Records consist of 186 ledgers and 17 manuscript boxes of shop orders, purchase invoices, general accounting ledgers and pamphlets depicting the general operation and management of the Johnson City Foundry, its union activities and the design of specialized Foundry equipment. Of particular interest are a set of time books and accounting ledgers dating from 1914 to 1915, a ledger of minutes dating from 1914 to 1915, and a ledger of minutes from Board of Directors meetings dating from 1902 that documents the early operation and management of the Johnson City Foundry.
- Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works, Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
102.00 linear feet (186 ledgers, 17 legal-sized document boxes)
0.50 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into nine series: Series 1, Miscellaneous Ledgers and Journals, 1902-1972; Series 2, Shop Orders, 1946-1982; Series 3, Purchase Invoices, 1975-1983; Series 4, General Accounting Ledgers, 1930-1956; Series 5, Union Contracts and Bills of Lading, 1957-1984; Series 6, Company Documents; Series 7, Photographs; and Series 8, Oversize.
Method of Acquisition
The Johnson City Foundry and Machine Works Records was donated to the Archives of Appalachia on April 13, 1989 by Mrs. David Graves on behalf of the Tenetek Holding Company of Knoxville, Tennessee.
Scott Schwartz and Frank Heath completed processing in 1989, and the records were opened to researchers March 26, 1990. Jen Bingham reprocessed Series 6 in November 2013 to eliminate duplicate material and interfile additional material discovered in the Archives vertical files.
- McDowell, George H. (George Howard), 1898-1970
- Sitton, George W., 1851-1923
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Foundries -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron industry and trade -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McDowell, May Ross, 1898-1988
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Steel industry and trade--Tennessee--Johnson City Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Scott Schwartz and Frank Heath
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA