Magnet Mills Collection
Collection — other: Boxes 1-134
Scope and Contents
All company files are arranged according to record type. The collection includes contract negotiations and agreements, correspondence grouped by subject, individual subject files, management records, grievances and grievance arbitrations, insurance records, personnel records, publications and newsclippings.
- Majority of material found within 1944-1967
- Magnet Mills, Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
In accordance with existing privacy laws and regulations, individual personnel files in the collection are restricted and may not be viewed or reproduced without either the written permission of the individual whose file it was or documentation (death certificate, obituary notice, etc.) presented to the archives staff that the individual whose file is being requested is deceased at the time of the researcher's request to use the file.
67.00 linear feet (134 boxes)
The collection is arranged in nine series: Series 1, Contract Negotiations and Agreements, 1944-1966; Series 2, Correspondence, 1947-1966; Series 3, Subject Files, 1940-1969; Series 4, Management Records, 1944-1969; Series 5, Grievances and Grievance Arbitrations, 1948-1966; Series 6, Insurance Records, 1944-1969; Series 7, Personnel Records, 1944-1969; Series 8, Publications, 1944-1969; and Series 9, Newsclippings, September-October 1941, December 1966-March 1967. For further arrangement information see Series Descriptions.
Method of Acquisition
On September 9, 1979, the company records and personnel files of Magnet Mills, Inc. were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Mrs. G. D. (Katherine) Hoskins of Clinton, Tennessee. Mrs. Hoskins was the former secretary to the Chairman of the Board of Magnet Mills, and was also the editor of the Mill newspaper, "The Magnet."
- Burd, Frank H. 1901-
- Burd, Samuel I. 1903-
- Constangy, Frank A.
- Dash, G. Allan, Jr.
- Hoskins, Katerine B., 1908-
- Williams, Lloyd N., 1913-
- Wright, T.A., Jr.
- American Federation of Hosiery Workers. Branch 125 (Clinton, Tenn.)
- Anderson County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- California Life Insurance Company
- Collective labor agreements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Confederation Life Association
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hosiery industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industrial safety Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Magnet Mills (Clinton, Tenn.)
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Provident Life and Accident Insurance Company (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Strikes and lockouts Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee Manufacturers Association
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2125 (Clinton, Tenn.)
- Textile industry--Tennessee, East Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description