Michael Montgomery Interviews
Scope and Contents
The Michael Montgomery Papers consist of audiotapes and transcripts of interviews conducted by Michael Montgomery from December 1977 to March 1978. The interviews were recorded in White Pine, Jefferson County, Tennessee. White Pine, located east of Knoxville, was a community of approximately 200 people when the interviews were taped. The interviewees vary in age, gender, education, and occupation. They include teachers, farmers, retirees, and students. While a number of local topics are discussed, Montgomery’s interests are speech inflection, patterns, and usage.
Montgomery asks questions that are consistent and repeated throughout the interviews. He begins by asking for background information, such as age, birthplace, and occupation. His subsequent questions relate to life in White Pine and the town’s history. In response, interviewees provide information on farm life, folkways, modern improvements, commerce, politics, and religion. There is discussion of local folk traditions, including canning, planting by signs, and religious beliefs. The older interviewees speak candidly about ways of life before the railroad and the Tennessee Valley Authority. The younger interviewees speak of contemporary town life, schools, businesses, and recreational activities.
The original tape boxes are the chief source of information for the spelling of the interviewees’ names.
- Montgomery, Michael, 1950-2019 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital access copies available for patron use.
1.80 linear feet (3 boxes, includes 22 1/4" audio tapes and 1 audiocassette)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Donated by Michael Montgomery in 2003.
Finding aid by Ryan C. Bernard, 2005. Digital masters by John Fleenor, 2006.
- Appalachian Region -- Manners and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appalachian Region, Southern Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English language -- Dialects -- Appalachian Region, Southern Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manners and customs--Appalachian Region Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Morristown (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Newport (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- White Pine (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Ryan C. Bernard
- Language of description
- Script of description