Joseph Louis and Jane Dulaney Hilbert Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of correspondence, personal records, newspaper articles, printed materials, and photographic images. It documents the personal and professional lives of Louis and Jane Dulaney Hilbert, as well as the growth of the Tri-Cities area, and the history of flight in East Tennessee. Of special interest is the career of Jane Dulaney Hilbert as a woman in the field of aviation. Also included are images of Richard M. Nixon visiting the Tri-Cities in 1958 and 1970.
- Hilbert, Jane Dulaney, 1911-2004 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
9.00 linear feet (11 boxes, 2 oversized folders)
The collection is arranged in five series: Series 1, Personal Papers, 1908-1990s, undated; Series 2, Newspaper Articles and Printed Materials, 1930s-1990, undated; Series 3, Photographs, Negatives, Slides, and Motion Pictures; Series 4, Plaques; and Series 5, Oversized Materials.
Method of Acquisition
Jane Dulaney Hilbert donated photographic negatives, contact prints, and slides, as well as a 1936 aeronautic map of Tennessee, on June 30, 1982. Lewis Dulaney, brother of Jane Dulaney Hilbert, donated additional Hilbert materials on July 15, 2004.
Part of the Jane Dulaney Hilbert donation was stored in the Appalachian Photographic Archives. In 1991, it was processed as a separate collection by Marie Tedesco. In 2005, Timothy Vasser processed the Lewis Dulaney donation and wrote a finding aid for the collection. The two donations were combined in 2006.
- Clement, Frank Goad
- Dunn, Winfield, 1927-
- Nixon, Pat, 1912-1993
- Aeronautics, Commercial -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appalachian Flying Service
- Baker, Howard H., Jr. (Howard Henry), 1925-2014
- Hilbert, Jane Dulaney, 1911-2004
- Hilbert, Joseph Louis, 1902-1975
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Piedmont Airlines
- Tri-City Regional Airport
- Women air pilots Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Timothy Vasser and Marie Tedesco
- Language of description