William C. Hicks Papers
Scope and Contents
The William C. Hicks Papers contain personal and business correspondence, receipts, accounting ledgers and a cash book documenting W. C. Hicks' business activities between 1894 and 1927. The business correspondence describes purchase contracts for the acquisition of factory equipment for the "Midget" Roller Flour and Corn Meal Company and the Virginia Rural Retreat Water Mills. The personal correspondence documents Hicks' involvement with the sales of the Eldredge and Forkner Estates.
- Creation: 1894 - 1928
- Hicks, William C., 1864-1928 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
0.50 linear feet (1 Hollinger box, 1 ledger)
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, Correspondence and Memorabilia, 1917-1927, and Series 2, Accounting Ledgers, 1894-1923.
Method of Acquisition
The William C. Hicks Papers were purchased for the Archives of Appalachia by East Tennessee State University's Library Acquisitions Department from Bookworm and Silverfish, Rural Retreat, Virginia. The papers were ordered on November 4, 1983 by Ellen Garrison, director of the archives, and were received sometime in December.
Scott Schwartz, Becky Tuthill, and Alice Cunningham completed processing and the records were open in 1990.
- Anglo-American Mill Company (Organization)
- Armstrong, Bruce (Person)
- Burchell, Charles E. (Person)
- Forkner, Mattie A.--Estate (Person)
- Huddle, M. C. (Person)
- Marion Foundry and Machine Works (Organization)
- Rural Retreat Water Mills (Organization)
- W. J. Savage Company (Organization)
- Wassum, John (Person)
- Scott Schwartz, Becky Tuthill, and Alice Cunningham
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note