Junius Griffin Scrapbook
Scope and Contents
The Junius Griffin Papers consist of a scrapbook containing the 13-part series entitled "The Deepening Crisis" that was sent to the nominating committee for the 1962 Pulitzer Prize in Journalism. The scrapbook contains newsclippings of the 13 articles that appeared in numerous nationally syndicated newspapers between July 28 and August 9, 1963. The articles document the politics of prejudice, religious and educational segregation, the economics of integration, world perceptions of slavery, and the racial inequalities experienced by African-Americans. The Associated Press staff who contributed to "The Deepening Crisis" included Sid Moody, Bernard Gavzer, Relman Morin, George Cornell, Tom Henshaw, Jules Loh, Max Harrelson, and Junius Griffin; they are identified in a photograph on the last page of the scrapbook.
- July 28-August 9, 1963
- Junius Griffin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The Junius Griffin Papers were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on October 23, 1984 by Junius Griffin, accession number 1985-046.
Melissa Garant and Scott Schwartz completed processing and the collection was opened to researchers on January 20, 1992.
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Morin, Relman, 1907-1973
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-
- X, Malcolm, 1925-1965
- Abolitionists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African-Americans -- Civil rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African-Americans--Social conditions--To 1964 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ku Klux Klan
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Racism--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Segregation--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slavery -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (U.S.)
- United States--Race relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA