Roy W. Carden Collection
Scope and Contents
The Roy W. Carden Collection contains photocopies of Roy W. Carden's research on the Carden family (from 1681) in Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia, including pedigree charts, military service records, land grants, family group sheets, marriage records, death and burial records, articles and chapters from published sources, newsclippings, list of soldiers, extracts from federal census records, tax records, deeds and deed indexes, wills, transcripts, and correspondence. A small amount of the material relates to World War I and World War II, including a list of German pilots and officers who served in the "Flying Circus" (Jagdgeschwader Nr. 1) during World War I and a copy of the Instrument of Surrender signed by the allied powers and the Japanese on September 2, 1945 ending World War II. Documents are dated from 1782 to 1998.
The collection also contains photographs of American military officers and scenes from World War I, the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in 1941, President Harry S. Truman, Gen. Mark W. Clark, and military artifacts from World War I. The photographs are dated from 1918 to 1995. A 1994 interview Carden conducted with John Richardson on Hampton and Carter County, Tennessee local history is also included.
- Carden Roy W. (Roy Wallace Carden) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.50 linear feet (1 box of papers, 1 box of photographs, and 1 video tape)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two series as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1782-1998 and undated; and Series 2, Photographs and Videotape Materials, 1918-1995 and undated.
Method of Acquisition
The Roy W. Carden Collection was given to the Archives of Appalachia on May 17, 1996, October 20, 1997, and October 14, 1998 by Roy W. Carden, Poulan, Georgia.
The original collection was processed by Ed Speer in 1997.
- Clark, Mark W. (Mark Wayne), 1896-1984
- Harris, Nathaniel Edwin, 1846-1929
- Lejeune, John Archer, 1867-1942
- Carden family
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pope Air Force Base (N.C.)
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Hawaii Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA