Norris Dam Construction Photographs
Scope and Contents
The nine photographs depict the early construction of Norris Dam, the first of TVA's twenty dams built in the Tennessee River basin.
In July 1933 the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Valley Authority named Cove Creek Dam "Norris Dam" in honor of Senator George Norris from Nebraska. Even before the construction of the dam began, a town of Norris was being planned and built. On October 1, 1933 work at the dam site began on the east bank of the Clinch River. Norris Dam was virtually finished after almost three years of construction. In May of 1936, the gates of the dam were closed, and impoundment of the Clinch River began. By the end of July, the first generator had begun spinning, thus bringing near to completion the first of twenty dams that TVA was to build in the next twenty years.
- Haney, Eloise (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The photographs are open for research.
9.00 item(s) (3 1/4" x 4 1/2" black and white photographs)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The nine photographs of early construction on Norris Dam were donated to the Archives of Appalachia in November 1987 by Eloise Haney of Kingsport University Center, a division of East Tennessee State University.
Marie Tedesco and Georgia Greer completed processing in October 1989.
- Dams--Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Norris Dam (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA