James William Norris Collection
Scope and Contents
The James William Norris Collection consists of two boxes containing land grants, surveys, deeds, wills, receipts, correspondence, pension records, research notes, and photographs that document the Norris, Haun, McInturff, Swingle, Brown, Sevier, and Kuhn family genealogies.
- Norris, James W. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
1.00 linear feet
Language of Materials
The material is arranged into three series: Series 1 Historical Papers-Photocopies and Research Notes, 1777-1981; Series 2, Historical Papers, 1821-1987; and Series 3, Scrapbook Materials, 1789-1975.
Method of Acquisition
The James William Norris Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by James W. Norris on May 1, 1991. An addendum was appended to the collection on August 7, 1992.
B. Altizer, L. Yeary, J. Stinson and Scott Schwartz completed processing, and the collection was opened to researchers on October 22, 1992.
- Baxter, Carlene
- Hendrix, Violet Hendricks, 1923
- Shellebarger, Martha M.
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jones family
- McInturff family
- Norris family
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Unicoi County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Washington County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- B. Altizer, L. Yeary, J. Stinson and Scott Schwartz
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA