David Larry Nave Video Recordings
Scope and Contents
The David Larry Nave Video Recordings consist of videotapes of folk culture in Southern Appalachia and a small amount of supporting material. The tapes depict E.C. and Orna Ball, two old-time country musicians from Rugby, Virginia; Lynn and Morris, two singer-comedians; and Willard and Ora Watson, a toy maker and a quilter from Deep Gap, North Carolina. The tapes are arranged alphabetically by name of the subject of the videos. The supporting material includes a copy of a National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) grant application for a documentary of E. C. and Orna Ball as well as slides depicting E. C. and Orna Ball and Richard Blaustein of the Department of Sociology at East Tennessee State University at the August 1975 Mountain City, Tennessee Fiddlers Convention.
- Nave, David Larry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
12.00 Video recordings
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into four series: Series 1, Original Recordings; Series 2, Access copies; Series 3, Preservation masters; and Series 4, NEA Grant Application and Slides.
Method of Acquisition
The David Larry Nave Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia on September 10, 1987, 1988-023.
The original donation included tapes and other material which related to work done for Broadside Television. These have been added to the Broadside Television Collection, AppMs 28.
Norma Myers and Marie Tedesco completed processing the collection in April 1991.
- Ball, Estill Cortez, 1913-1978
- Ball, Orna, 1907-
- Watson, Ora
- Watson, Willard
- Bee culture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Blaustein, Richard
- Canning and preserving Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Country music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Herbs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lynn and Morris (Musical group
- Mountain City Fiddlers Convention (1975: Mountain City, Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Quilting Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Toy making Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA