Skip to main content

Mr. & Mrs. G. O. Edwards Collection of W.M. Ritter Lumber Company Photographs

 Collection — Box: A (Small Photos), Folder: 1
Identifier: AppMs-92

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of black and white copy negatives and contact prints which depict the W. M. Ritter Lumber Company operations in Virginia and Kentucky. Depicted are housing for workers, trains hauling logs, and loggers and officials employed by Ritter Lumber Company. The original photographs dated from 1904 to 1946.

List of photographs and dates of originals

  1. George L. Carter, Isaac T. Mann, George A. Kent, John B. Dennis, W. M. Ritter, Norman B. Ream, Thomas Fortune Ryan, James A. Blair, Ray Dennis, and James Hammill at Speer's Ferry, Virginia, circa 1904 (copied from a publication)
  2. McClure, Virginia, 1917 (2 views)
  3. Ritter Lumber Company Frying Pan Camp, Virginia, 1927
  4. Blacksmith, circa 1930
  5. McClure, Virginia lumber yard, circa 1937
  6. Ritter Company family in front of shanty, circa 1937
  7. Unloading logs in pond at Ritter mill in McClure, Virginia, circa 1937
  8. Logging train near Route 63 and McClure, Virginia, circa 1937
  9. Family in front of shanty, Caney Creek, 1939
  10. Ritter Lumber Company labor camp, Caney Creek, Virginia. House of camp cook Frank Fletcher in back, 1940
  11. Ritter Lumber Company camp on Caney Creek, circa 1940
  12. "Ritter Engine" used for hauling logs to McClure Pond and sawmill, 1940
  13. Railroad hand car, 1942
  14. Nichols, superintendent of Ritter Mill in Hyder, Kentucky, 1946
  15. Ritter Lumber Company mobile housing, Hyden, Kentucky, 1946
  16. Ritter Lumber Company mobile housing, Hyden, Kentucky, 1946
  17. A.A. Kopp, Noah Tiller, and Tom Trippler, undated
  18. Virginia logging train, undated

Dates

  • 1981

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply.

Extent

38.00 Items

Language of Materials

English

Method of Acquisition

The Mr. & Mrs. G. O. Edwards Photographs were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on February 14, 1981 by Mr. & Mrs. G. O. Edwards of 309 Elmo Street, Bristol, Virginia 24201.

Existence and Location of Originals

The location of the originals is unknown.

Processing Information

Processing was completed in 1988 by Marie Tedesco. She revised the Finding Aid in 1995.
Status
Completed
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository

Contact:
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA
423-439-4338