James T. Dowdy, Sr. Photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 123 images related to regional railroads. Some images were taken by James T. Dowdy, Sr., who worked for the ET&WNC and CC&O railroads, among others. Most images were obtained through trade with fellow collectors. Railroads included are: Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railroad (CC&O); Cass Scenic Railroad; East Tennessee & Western North Carolina (ET&WNC); Linville River Railway (LRR); and Southern Railway Company. Images feature communities, depots, engines, roundhouses, tracks, and work crews from throughout east Tennessee and western North Carolina.
- Creation: 1890-1950
- Dowdy, James T., Sr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.9 linear feet
0.9 linear feet
Language of Materials
Negatives, slides, and prints are arranged alphabetically by subject.
Method of Acquisition
The James T. Dowdy, Sr. Photographs were donated on August 5, 1981 by James T. Dowdy, Sr. ETSU photographer Larry Smith copied 120 photographs from a larger collection of railroad photos owned by Dowdy. The collection was made available for research in August 1982.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals remained in the possession of James Dowdy.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital copies (TIFF and JPEG) of each image are available on request.
Marie Tedesco completed processing in 1988. Selena Harmon reprocessed the collection and revised the finding aid in November 2015.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway (Organization)
- Cass Scenic Railroad (Organization)
- Cranberry Iron Mines (Cranberry, N.C.) (Organization)
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad (Organization)
- Linville River Railway (Organization)
- Southern Railway (U.S.) (Organization)
- W.M. Ritter Lumber Company (Organization)
- Selena Harmon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note