James T. Dowdy, Sr. Photographs
Scope and Contents
Throughout his career, Dowdy collected photographs related to various, regional railroads. Some of the collection's photographs were taken by Dowdy, while others were obtained through trade with fellow collectors. Railroads included are: Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railroad (CC&O); Cass Scenic Railroad; East Tennessee & Western North Carolina (ET&WNC); Linville River Railway (LRR)*; and Southern Railway Company. Images feature communities, depots, engines, roundhouses, tracks, and work crews from different railroads in North Carolina and Tennessee. The collection includes 123 black and white prints, 118 black and white negatives, 112 black and white slides, 2 post cards, and 1 glass plate negative. Date range, 1890-1950, derived from visual examination of the prints.
*Both ET&WNC and LRR were owned by Cranberry Iron, Coal and Coke Company, Cranberry, North Carolina.
- Dowdy, James T., Sr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.9 linear feet
0.9 linear feet
Language of Materials
Prints are foldered alphabetically by subject. Negatives and slides are in numerical order by "APA" number. To find the slide or negative that corresponds to a print, reference the APA number on the back of the print.
Method of Acquisition
The James T. Dowdy, Sr. Photographs were given to the archives on August 5, 1981 by James T. Dowdy, Sr. University photographer Larry Smith copied 120 photographs from a larger collection of railroad photos owned by Dowdy. The collection was made available for research in August 1982.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals remained in the possession of James Dowdy.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital copies (TIFF and JPEG) of each image are available on request.
Most of the prints are poor quality use copies. Researchers who need a better image may request a scan of the corresponding negative or slide.
Marie Tedesco completed processing in 1988. Selena Harmon reprocessed the collection and revised the finding aid in November 2015.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Cass Scenic Railroad
- Coal -- Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cranberry Iron Mines (Cranberry, N.C.)
- Doe River Gorge (Tenn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- Elk Park (N.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hampton (Tenn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Linville River Railway
- Locomotives Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Poplar (N.C.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroad accidents Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroad stations Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads--Appalachian Mountains Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads--North Carolina Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads--Tennessee--Elizabethton Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads--Tennessee--Johnson City Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Railroads--Yards Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Southern Railway (U.S.)
- W.M. Ritter Lumber Company
- Selena Harmon
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note