Margaret Hyder DeVault Collection
Scope and Contents
The Margaret Hyder DeVault Collection contains correspondence, periodicals, account ledgers, survey ledgers and notebooks, essays, deeds, bills, receipts promises to pay, and other legal documents, newspaper clippings, estate papers, family genealogy, photographs, and memorabilia documenting the Hyder family and in particular the life and career of Nat E. Hyder. The collection also contains a number of teaching materials and other publications that relate to teaching, specifically those belonging to Annie Gourley Hyder, Mrs. DeVault’s mother.
- DeVault, Margaret Hyder, 1910-1990 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
5.00 linear feet (8 boxes, 3 oversized folders, 1 scrapbook, 84 photographic prints, 2 negatives, 1 audio disc)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into two series, as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1793-1996 and undated, and Series 2, Audio-Visual Materials, 1920-1961 and undated.
Method of Acquisition
The Margaret Hyder DeVault Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Oris Hyder, executor of Mrs. Hyder’s estate, on July 1, 1990. An addition to the collection was donated by Mildred Kozsuch, of Johnson City, Tenn., on November 22, 2005.
The collection was processed by Brianne Johnson and Ned Irwin and opened for research in October 2006.
- Hyder, Annie Gourley
- Burchfield family
- Carter County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Compact discs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- DeVault, Margaret Hyder, 1910-1990
- Gourley family
- Hyder family
- Hyder, Gretchen, 1896-1962
- Hyder, Nat E. (Nathaniel Edens), 1849-1904
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Phonograph records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brianne Johnson and Ned Irwin
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note