Dante History Project Records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Dante History Project Records collection consists of materials gathered as part of a community-based research effort in 1997-1998 to document the history of Dante, Va. Among the material types contained in the collection are oral history interview recordings, typed transcripts, and negative photographic images. Subjects covered in the collection include railroad and coal mining development and operations, education, farming, health issues, segregation, religious activities, and various other social, cultural, and economic issues related to the development and history of Dante between the late 19th century and the late 20th century.
- Dante History Project (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research. Digital access copies to audio recordings material are available for onsite use.
Conditions Governing Use
The oral histories may be duplicated and displayed for educational and research use.
1.00 linear feet (consisting of 2 boxes, 74 audio cassette recordings, 992 35mm black and white negatives)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in three series, as follows: Series 1, Transcripts, 1997-1998; Series, 2, Recordings, 1997-1998; and Series 3, Negatives, c. 1890-1980 and undated.
Method of Acquisition
Kathy Shearer, Project Coordinator for the Dante History Project, donated the Dante History Project Records to the Archives of Appalachia on April 21, 1999. On July 30, 1999 she donated copy negatives of photographs collected during the project.
Annie Webb, Glen Yelton, and Norma Myers processed the collection and the records were opened for research in February 2002.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Church history -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clinchfield Coal Corporation
- Coal mines and mining -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dante (Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Health care -- Virginia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Lungs -- Dust diseases Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroads--Virginia Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Rural-urban migration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Virginia--Economic conditions--1918-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Virginia--Social conditions--1933-1945 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Annie Webb, Glen Yelton, and Norma Myers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note