Charles Edwin Price Papers
Scope and Contents
The Charles Edwin Price Papers consist of correspondence, manuscripts (primarily in typescript), notes, photographs and slides, oral history interviews (audio cassettes) and transcripts, and miscellaneous ephemera documenting Price's research and writing interests. Such interests include the 1916 elephant hanging in Erwin, Tenn., the John Sevier Center fire in Johnson City, Tenn. (1989), and Appalachian ghost stories and ghostlore among others.
- 1916-1992 and undated
- Price, Charles Edwin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
2.00 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in five series: Series 1, Correspondence, 1990-91; Series 2, Publications, 1986-91; Series 3, Research Files, 1916-91 and undated; Series 4, Writings, c. 1988-1992 and undated; and Series 5, Oral History Interviews, 1986-1990 and undated.
Method of Acquisition
The Charles Edwin Price Papers were donated to the Archives of Appalachia between 1990-92 by Charles Edwin Price, Erwin, Tenn., and opened to researchers in August 1997.
Ned Irwin completed processing in 1997.
- Big Mary (Elephant) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Birdwell family
- Erwin (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore -- Appalachian Region, Southern Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Sevier Center (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Supernatural Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Unicoi County (Tenn.)--History Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA