George E. Pettengill Collection
Collection — other: Boxes 1-3
Identifier: 500-AppMs 648
Scope and Contents
The George E. Pettengill Collection documents railroad operations of the Norfolk Southern Railroad and its predecessor corporation, the Southern Railway, primarily from the 1960s to the early 2000s. There is also a small amount of material related to the Clinchfield Railroad and the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad. Clinchfield is now a part of the CSX rail system. The collection includes published articles about the railroads, newspaper clippings, annual reports, proxy statements, and other stockholder information. Material is filed in alphabetical order by subject.
- 1961-2003 and undated
- Pettengill, George E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
1.50 linear feet
Material is filed in alphabetical order by subject.
Method of Acquisition
The George E. Pettengill Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by George E. Pettengill, Johnson City, Tenn., on August 15, 2003.
Accruals and Additions
Additional material was donated by George E. Pettengill on September 1, 2005 and March 15, 2006.
Kirk Hrivnak completed processing the collection in May 2008.
- Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad
- Norfolk Southern Corporation
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroads Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Southern Railway (U.S.)
- Kirk Hrivnak
- Language of description