J. B. Collins Photographs
Scope and Contents
The J. B. Collins Photographs collection consists of 79 black and white photographic images (4" x 5") on 20 contact sheets depicting serpent-handling church services at the Dolley Pond Church of God with Signs Following at Birchwood, Tennessee, and the Faith Tabernacle at LaFollette, Tennessee, circa 1945. Included are scenes of members being arrested at the Dolley Pond church and scenes at the Hamilton County Courthouse in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
There is also a circa 1947 booklet written by J.B. Collins and titled Tennessee Snake Handlers. Many of the photographs were used to illustrate this booklet.
- circa 1945-1947
Conditions Governing Access
The photographs are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The photographs may not be reproduced or used for commercial purposes.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
J. B. Collins loaned his negatives to Thomas G. Burton in 1990 and Burton had contact sheets made as part of his research for his book Serpent Handling Believers. Collins agreed to donate the contact sheets to the archives in May 1994. In 1990, Collins also gave a copy of Tennessee Snake Handlers to Burton to give to the archives.
Ned Irwin completed processing the collection in December 1996.
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Religion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dolley Pond Church of God with Signs Following (Birchwood, Tenn.)
- Faith Tabernacle (LaFollette, Tenn.)
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Religion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Snake cults (Holiness churches) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tennessee--Religion Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description