Cass Family Business Collection
Scope and Contents
The Cass Family Business Collection records and papers cover the period 1891-1925. Included are financial records from the East Tennessee Medicine Company and Ferguson Drug Company, as well as correspondence with other companies and advertising materials. Also included are requests for information on products and listings of agents for East Tennessee Medicine Company.
An addition to the collection was made in 1986. These documents include materials relating to the East Tennessee Medicine Company.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
2.25 linear feet (5 legal size archival boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in three series: Series 1, Papers of East Tennessee Medicine Company, 1891-1925; Series 2, Papers of the Ferguson Drug Company, 1916-1921; Series 3, Papers of Joseph W. Cass, 1907-1923. The contents of all series are organized alphabetically by subject, with correspondence being arranged alphabetically by author, and then chronologically when there is more than one piece by an author.
The Cass Family Business records were part of a larger collection given to Rocky Mount on December 20, 1978 by Dr. William P. Bailey, Jr.
Method of Acquisition
The Cass Family Business Collection was placed in the Archives of Appalachia on April 25, 1980 by Alvin Gerhardt, Executive Director, Rocky Mount State Museum.
Marie Tedesco completed processing, and the records were opened for research on July 2, 1980.
- Cass, Elizabeth
- Cass, Lewis W.
- Panhorst, Marie Hendrick Phillip, 1847-1932
- Cass, Joseph Worley, 1865-1923
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drugstores -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- East Tennessee Medicine Company
- Ferguson Drug Company
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Patent medicines Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sierra Maxwell
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note