Bernard H. Cantor Papers
Scope and Contents
The Cantor collection consists of various papers regarding Bernard Cantor's employment as an arbitration umpire between worker's unions and companies in the Southeast United States in the years 1959 to 1986. Included in the collection are arbitration awards, arbitration Review Board Decisions between the United Mine Workers and the Bituminous Coal Operators' Association, and labor contracts addressed in Cantor's arbitration awards.
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
7.00 linear feet (22 boxes)
Language of Materials
The papers of this collection are arranged in chronological order by record type beginning with the decisions of Mr. Cantor as an arbitrator, 1959-1978 as Series 1, and then the Arbitration Review Board Decisions between the United Mine Workers and the Bituminous Coal Operators' Association, 1975-1978 as Series 2. Series 3 includes several labor contracts of relevance to the arbitration layout decided by Mr. Cantor.
Two additions have been added to the collection. These include arbitration awards in the years of 1978 to 1984 added to Series 1; labor contracts in the years 1972 to 1986 were placed in Series 2; and the creation of Series 4, which includes miscellaneous papers.
Method of Acquisition
The papers of Bernard H. Cantor were placed in the Archives of Appalachia on January 15, 1979, by Mr. Cantor.
Accruals and Additions
In September 1983 and August 1984, Bernard H. Cantor donated additional materials to the Archives of Appalachia.
The copies of the published publications by Mr. Cantor are filed in the Archives of Appalachia vertical file under the heading of Regional Publications: Miscellaneous pamphlets.
Processing on the original collection was completed by David Goodin and the papers were opened for research on April 1, 1979.
- American Arbitration Association
- Collective bargaining--Coal mining industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collective labor agreements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Grievance arbitration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industrial relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Labor unions and mass media Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Textile workers Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- United Mine Workers of America
- United States. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
- David Goodin
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note