Charles Faulkner Bryan Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection reflects Bryan's career as a composer, folklore collector, performer, and teacher. The microfilmed portion of the collection includes correspondence, biographical and financial papers, newspaper clippings, programs, teaching notes, folk music and folklore collections, professional publications, and composition scores and scripts.
- 1892 - 1978
- Majority of material found within 1941 - 1955
- Bryan, Charles Faulkner (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
0.5 linear feet (consisting of 9 reels of microfilm.)
Language of Materials
The papers are arranged into four series: Correspondence, Memorabilia, Subjects, and Music Scores.
Because this is a microfilm copy of the collection, materials are identified by microfilm reel number. However, as the original file folders are part of the microfilm record, these folder numbers are included for researcher reference.
The papers of Charles Faulkner Bryan were donated to Tennessee Technological University on July 14, 1981 by Charles Bryan's wife, Edith Bryan. The music scores were donated to Tennessee Technological University by Mrs. Bryan prior to January 1980.
Method of Acquisition
As part of a cooperative agreement with Tennessee Tech, in 1981 the Archives of Appalachia processed the Bryan papers which were transferred back to Tennessee Tech in 1982. The Archives of Appalachia retained a microfilmed copy of the papers.
Existence and Location of Originals
The original documents and sound recordings are the property of Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tennessee.
Existence and Location of Copies
The Tennessee State Library and Archives holds the master negative of the microfilm. TSLA and Tennessee Tech each have microfilm research copies.
Norma Jean Thomas processed Series 1-3 and the collection was opened for research in 1982. Jim Wattenbarger at Tennessee Tech processed the music scores. Processing was funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. The Tennessee State Library and Archives microfilmed the papers.
- Bain, Wilfred C. (Wilfred Conwell), 1908-
- Fischer, Joseph A.
- Goosens, Eugene, Sir, 1893-1962
- Jackson, George Pullen, 1874-1953
- Luttrell, Woodrow
- Pitcher, Gladys, 1890
- Wolfe, Irving
- Bryan, Charles Faulkner
- Dulcimer Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folk music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indian Springs School (Helena, Ala.)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Music Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Work Projects Administration
- Yale University
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note