Richard Blaustein Papers
Scope and Contents
The Richard Blaustein Collection contains photographs, tapes, newsclippings, a scrapbook, correspondence, and publications which relate to the study and teaching of the history of country music, performances of the Dixie Dewdrops, the Old Time Country Radio Reunion, the Homefolks Festival and the Folk Artists-in-the-Schools program.
In 2000, an addition to the collection was processed. Included in the addition to the Richard Blaustein Collection are open reel audiotapes of performances at the Old Time Country Radio Reunion held at Jonesborough, Tennessee, in the early 1980s and of folk and country music compilations made by Blaustein for use in the classroom; open reel and VHS video recordings of music performances; photographs of country music performers; and miscellaneous papers relating to Blaustein's research and work as a professor and his association with the Old Time Country Radio Reunion.
- Blaustein, Richard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Audio and videotapes may not be duplicated or broadcast without the written permission of the donor.
1.00 linear feet (98 audiotapes, 42 videotapes, 2 oversized folders, 139 photographic prints (black and white, color), 5 slides (black and white), 7 negatives (black and white))
Language of Materials
The collection dates from 1945 to 1981. It is divided into three series: Series 1, Old Time Country Radio Reunion Files, 1979-1981; Series 2, History of Country Music Files, 1945-1981; Series 3, Tapes 1975-1981; and Series 4, Photographs. Series 1 contains papers and newspaper clippings concerning participation in the reunion. Series 2 consists of articles, newsclippings, songbooks, publications, and transcripts concerned with the history of country music. Series 3 contains videotapes, reel-to-reel tapes, cassette tapes and records that deal with the Radio Reunion, the Folks Artists-in-the-Schools program, and the history of country music. Series 4 contists of black and white photographs of artists and radio stations.
The materials of the addition were incorporated into existing series as appropriate. One additional series was organized, Series 5, Professional Files, 1978-1989.
Method of Acquisition
The Richard Blaustein Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia on July 7, 1982 by Richard Blaustein, professor of sociology and anthropology at East Tennessee State University. The collection was opened for research in June 1985.
Accruals and Additions
In the years from 1985 and 1990, Richard Blaustein donated additional materials to the Archives of Appalachia.
The following items have been removed from the collection and placed in oversized storage.
1. Two copies of a poster advertising Old Time Country Radio Reunion, May 15-17, 1981, Jonesborough, Tennessee. (Removed from Series 1.) 2. One poster, advertising Homefolks Festival, April 21, no year; sponsored by Institute for Appalachian Affairs. (Removed from Series 2.) 3. One poster advertising performance of Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass, and the Osborne Brothers, Capitol Theatre, Greeneville, Tennessee, February 11, no year. (Removed from Series 2.)
M.Allen and B.Culp completed processing the collection in 1985. In 1993 and 2000, Marie Tedesco processed the addition and revised the finding aid.
- Clark, Old Joe
- Ford, Tennessee Ernie, 1919-
- Grant, Claude
- Hogan, Arval
- King, Curly
- Mayo, Ralph
- Scott, "Doc" Tommy
- Scruggs, Earl
- Slagle, Tom, 1922-
- Appalachian Consortium
- Appalachian Studies Association
- Bailes Brothers (Musical group)
- Blaustein, Richard
- Blue Sky Boys
- Bluegrass music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Blues (Music) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carter Family (Musical group)
- Cherokee Mountain Ramblers (Musical group)
- Cord and Ruby (Musical group)
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Country music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Country musicians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Distilling, Illicit Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dixie Dewdrops (Musical group)
- East Tennessee State University. Homefolks Festival
- Flatt, Lester
- Gospel music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hard Times (Musical group)
- Old Time Country Radio Reunion Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Old-time music Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Payne Family (Musical group)
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Phonograph records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee Hilltoppers (Musical group) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tenneva Ramblers (Musical group)
- WOPI (Radio station: Bristol, Tenn.)
- Language of description
- Script of description