Elma Lillian Rankin Beeson Papers
Scope and Contents
The Elma Lillian Rankin Beeson Papers contain newspaper clippings, class record books, and photographs pertaining to her teaching career at East Tennessee State Normal School. Also included are extensive photographs, postcards and a diary of her 1913 trip to Europe. The papers also contain part of the Rankin family history and several certificates and awards resulting from Beeson's activities involving Tusculum College and various ladies civic clubs.
The papers are comprised of one box and one oversized folder. The box includes newspaper clippings, memorabilia, postcards and a diary documenting Europe, and teacher's class rolls and books. The oversized folder includes various diplomas and degrees from (Greeneville) Tusculum College, a passport, and other papers.
Photographs documenting Beeson's trip to Europe, involvement in the Presbyterian Women's Advisory Committee, Community Concert Board, and East Tennessee State Normal School are also available. These items comprise one box and are located in photographic storage.
- 1904 - 1973
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
0.50 linear feet (1 box, 1 oversized folder)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The papers of Elma Lillian Rankin Beeson were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on June 29, 1983 by her children: D. R. Beeson, Jr., Mary Beeson Ellison, Anne Beeson Gouge, and Betty Beeson Helms.
A plaque presented to Mrs. Beeson as outstanding member of the Wednesday Morning Music Club, May 1968 has been placed in the Archives of Appalachia artifacts collection. Fifty-five photographs of Mrs. Beeson relating to her association with the Presbyterian Women's Advisory Committee, Community Concert Board, East Tennessee State Normal School and to her trip to Europe have been placed in the special environment storage area for photograph collections under the name of Mrs. Beeson.
Karen House completed processing and the papers were opened in 1985.
- East Tennessee State Normal School
- East Tennessee State University
- East Tennessee State University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Europe -- Description and travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music--Instruction and study Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rankin family
- Tusculum College
- Language of description
- Script of description