Horace C. Atwater Papers
Scope and Contents
The Horace C. Atwater Collection consists of a copy of Atwater’s handwritten diary and original handwritten lecture notes and handwritten sermons that Atwater wrote and delivered as a minister between the 1840s and the 1870s. The sermons help document religious life and Protestant denominational practices in mid-19th century America, especially Atwater’s time as a Presbyterian minister in East Tennessee. The notes and sermons are arranged in alphabetical order by title with untitled material filed at the end of the series. Atwater generally used part of a verse of scripture in titling his sermons. The source of this text from the Bible (King James Version) is identified in brackets. [Example: [II Kings 5:12] refers to the second book of Kings, Chapter 5, verse 12] A compact disc containing digital scanned images of the diary and five of the sermons is also included.
- 1836-1875, 2005
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
2.50 linear feet (5 manuscript boxes, 1 compact disc, 1 oversized folder)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into three series, as follows: Series 1, Diary, 1836-1838 and undated; Series 2, Lecture Notes and Sermons, 1842-1875 and undated; and Series 3, Oversized Material, c. 2005.
Method of Acquisition
The collection was donated by Dr. Michael J. Brown, Clerk of Session, on behalf of the First Presbyterian Church of Elizabethton, Tennessee, on December 14, 2005.
Accruals and Additions
A compact disc containing scanned images of Horace Atwater’s diary and five sermons (originals retained by the church) was donated to the archives by Harrison Taylor, Johnson City, Tenn., on April 2, 2007.
A poster produced (c. 2005) by the First Presbyterian Church of Elizabethton commemorating Atwater’s ministry is housed in an oversized map folder by accession number.
The collection was processed by Ned Irwin and Brianne Johnson and opened for research in April 2007.
- Church records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clergy -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Compact discs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Preaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preaching--Tennessee, East Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Preaching--United States--19th century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Presbyterian Church--Sermons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterians--Tennessee Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Religious life--Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sermons, American--19th century Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee, East--Religious life and customs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Ned Irwin and Brianne Johnson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script