Bernard Rousseau Recordings
Scope and Contents
The Bernard Rousseau Collection contains 187 open reel audiotapes of performances at fiddlers’ conventions, bluegrass festivals, music clubs, and studio sessions, 1957-84; as well as radio broadcasts of bluegrass and country music, 1983-88. The collection also contains two manuscript boxes of printed materials, which focus on the conventions and festivals. Included in the two boxes are tape logs, performer lists, and publicity photos, along with convention and festival programs.
Festivals included in Rousseau Collection:
1. Bluegrass Spectacular at the Capitol Theatre, Elizabethton, Tennessee: May 21, 1971. 2. Carlton Haney Festival, Camp Springs, North Carolina: August 30, 1969; September 6, 1970. 3. Cobb County Bluegrass Festival, Marietta, Georgia: October 25, 1969; October 3, 1970. 4. Fiddlers’ Convention, Collinsville, Virginia: November 17-18, 1972; November 16-17, 1973. 5. Galax Fiddlers’ Convention, Galax, Virginia: August 7, 1970. 6. Georgia State Bluegrass Festival, Shoal Creek Country Music Park, Lavonia, Georgia: July 26, 1970. 7. Smithville Fiddlers' Jamboree and Crafts Festival, Smithville, Tennessee: July 7, 1984 8. South Carolina State Tri-Centennial Blue Grass Festival at Glassy Mountain in Greer, South Carolina: September 25, 1970. 9. Union Grove Old-Time Fiddlers' Convention, Union Grove, North Carolina: April 4, 1969; March 27-28, 1970; April 9-10, 1971; April 20-21, 1973; April 11-13, 1974; March 27-29, 1975; April 15-17, 1976; March 24, 1978. [We only have tapes from that particular day.]
- 1957-1988 and undated
- Rousseau, Bernard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Digital access copies to audiovisual material are also available for onsite use.
Conditions Governing Use
Recordings may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission of the performer(s).
187.00 sound recordings
1 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into five series: Series 1, Festivals and Fiddlers’ Conventions, 1969-84 and undated; Series 2, Performances in Clubs, Concerts, and Private Parties, 1957-83 and undated; Series 3, Studio Tapes, 1967-83 and undated; Series 4, Radio Broadcasts, 1983-88 and undated; and Series 5, Printed Documentation, 1957-84 and undated.
Method of Acquisition
Bernard Rousseau of Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, donated the collection to the Archives on May 21, 1985.
Processing of the collection was completed in June 1999. The following persons processed the collection: Rebecca Adkins, Roy Andrade, Rebecca Buller, Norma Myers, Ed Speer, and Marie Tedesco. Robin Pendleton transcribed the information from the original tape boxes. With support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, preservation masters and public-use copies of the audiotapes were made in 2001/2002.
- Byers, Joe
- Cain, Benny
- Cain, Vallie
- Crowe, J.D.
- Lawson, Doyle
- Monroe, Bill, 1911-1996
- Williams, Benny
- Wiseman, Mac
- Blue Grass Boys
- Bluegrass music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clinch Mountain Boys
- Clog dancing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Country Gentlemen (Musical group)
- Fiddle tunes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gold Rush (Musical group)
- Kentucky Mountain Boys
- Louvin Brothers
- Old Fiddlers' Convention Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Old Fiddlers' Convention Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Old-time music Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Ole Time Fiddler’s & Bluegrass Festival (Union Grove, N.C.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Osborne Brothers
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reno & Smiley
- Smithville Fiddlers’ Jamboree and Crafts Festival (Smithville, Tenn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Smoky Mountain Cut-Ups Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- South Carolina State Tri-Centennial Blue Grass Festival (Greer, S.C.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Stanley, Ralph Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Union Grove Old-Time Fiddlers' Convention (Union Grove, N.C.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Rebecca Adkins, Roy Andrade, Rebecca Buller, Norma Myers, Ed Speer, and Marie Tedesco
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note