Appalachian Preaching Mission Records
Scope and Contents
The Appalachian Preaching Mission Records cover the years 1954 to 1980 and concern primarily the Johnson City Mission. The collection includes brochures, correspondence, financial statements, memoranda, and minutes for city and area committee meetings, miscellaneous items connected with each year's mission (e.g. programs, photographs, ribbons, schedules), and tapes of Mission speakers. There also is a brief history of Johnson City's participation in the Mission and a brochure file which covers the years 1954 to 1979. (Materials for the 1975 mission are missing). Few recordings exist for the years 1971 to 1974. Many of the tapes dated after 1974 are untitled. One 16 mm film is included also in the tape file. An index of guest speakers is included. An asterisk (*) before the name indicates that a recording of their address(es) is on file. An index of audio tapes also follows the index of guest speakers organized by the speaker.
- Appalachian Preaching Mission (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
3.50 linear feet (7 boxes, 332 audio recordings, 1 film)
Language of Materials
The records are arranged chronologically in two series. Series I consists of organizational materials. Series II is an audio tape file covering the years 1958 to 1977 and is composed of reel to reel and cassette tapes.
Method of Acquisition
The Appalachian Preaching Mission Records were transferred to the Archives of Appalachia from the First Presbyterian Church, Johnson City, Tennessee in February, 1984. The transfer was made possible by Mrs. George Myers, secretary of the church.
B. Culp completed processing and the records were opened for research in July 1985.
- Allen, Charles Livingstone, 1913-
- Benfield, William A., Jr.
- Campbell, Ernest T.
- Cleland, James T.
- Evans, Louis Hadley, b. 1897
- Fitch, Alger Morton
- Ford, Leighton
- Haggai, John Edmund
- Harris, Pierce
- Holt, Andrew D. (Andrew David), b. 1904
- Ketcherside, W. Carl
- Oldham, Dale
- Russell, Henry
- Vick, George H.
- Wade, Bill
- Webb, Perry
- Wellborn, Charles
- Appalachian Preaching Mission
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hunt, Earl Gladstone, Jr., 1918-2005
- Ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Preaching--Tennessee, East Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Religion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B. Culp
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note